The SENCER Ideals illustrate the principles and philosophies that guide SENCER’s approach to educational practice:
- SENCER connects science and civic engagement by teaching “through” complex, and unsolved public issues “to” basic science.
- SENCER invites learners to put scientific knowledge and methods to immediate use on matters of relevance to them.
- SENCER reveals both the power and the limits of science in addressing the great challenges of our time.
- SENCER helps all learners connect civic issues of local concern to national and global “grand challenges.”
Original SENCER Ideals” from 2001 are HERE
- Bringing the SENCER Ideals to Life
The SENCER Model Courses demonstrate the possible ways to construct courses and programs that embody the SENCER Ideals.
The SENCER Backgrounders connect some of what is known, and as yet unknown scientifically, with some of what is at stake civically.
Subawards are granted to institutions that attend our annual SENCER Summer Institute to help spread and grow the SENCER Ideals through projects, faculty development, course redesign, and more.