The 2018 SENCER Summer Institute (SSI) will be hosted by Santa Clara University in Santa Clara, California on August 2-5, 2018.
SSI is the cornerstone of NCSCE’s faculty development efforts, and our largest annual meeting. SSI brings together formal and informal educators, learners, and community and government partners for a rich mix of plenaries, workshops, and other sessions that focus not only on what students should learn, but how that learning might be accomplished. Over SENCER’s existence, we have attracted and cultivated a community of educators who are highly experienced in and passionate about helping students find meaning in STEM disciplines, and generous in sharing best practices with other dedicated educators. We look forward to reconvening our community, and adding new members.
The theme for SSI 2018 is Civic Engagement and the STEM Learning Ecosystem. In addition to our core focus on effective pedagogy and course design, the Institute program will explore and focus on other themes in the STEM learning ecosystem, including:
- Cross disciplinary conversations on sustainability
- Engineering education
- Indigenous studies
- Diversity and inclusion in 2018
- Equity and science education for all
- The Next Generation Science Standards and informal science
- Strengthening the liberal arts: humanities, social sciences and STEM in partnership, and
- Service learning
Beyond these program foci, the SENCER Summer Institutes include sessions tailored to the interests, goals, and talents, that participants bring to the Institute. You will also be able to propose a poster or presentation about your own work as part of the registration process. Outside of Institute programming, SSI provides opportunities for our community members to network and form new collaborations with each other to advance the work being done nationwide. More than 98% of participants in last year’s program said that they found the Institute program useful.
SSI 2018 Plenary Speakers:
SSI Registration Deadlines
Late registration, beginning June 19, 2018, will be offered on a space-available basis and will be $900 per registrant.
The Institute registration fees include the following:
- Admission to all educational sessions
- All related session materials
- Breakfasts on all days except Thursday, August 2nd
- Lunches on all days except Thursday, August 2nd
- Dinner on Thursday, August 2rd
- Poster reception on Friday, August 3rd
- Admission to The Tech Museum on the Afternoon of Saturday, August 4th
If you have any questions about the SENCER Summer Institute, please contact Kyle Simmons, NCSCE’s Faculty Development Events Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.